Monday, May 3, 2010

Nice Day for a White Wedding...Dress

I'm going to warn everyone now that for whatever reason, everytime I went to try on wedding dresses, my hair was OOC (out of control) and so were my facial expressions.  I think it was because of this that my cousins decided to not include my face for half the pictures.  I think this is pretty much for everyone's benefit.

BRIAN - GO AWAY.  Love you muchos butros golly!





After watching numerous episodes of Say Yes to the Dress and shamelessly judging all the people on the show, I promised myself that my mom would be an integral part of my wedding dress search and that I would listen to her opinion with all the filial duty of an Asian daughter. 
Yeah...that didn't quite happen.  I love my mom oodles and doodles but she and I are very very different people in tastes and very very similar in stubbornness.  Funny how that works.  I knew from the minute I got engaged that finding a wedding dress with my mom would probably result in tears and threats of disownment but I secretly hoped that there would be some miracle dress out there that would span the gaps of old-school tradition and modern stylings.

My very first trip to try on a wedding dress was at David's Bridal since it was over Thanksgiving while I was at home.  My mom and cousins (Alice, Virginia, and Diana) all came along with big smiles.  Brian didn't want to be left alone with my dad (he hasn't gotten over the whole permission to marry fiasco conversation yet) so he came along and sat at a Subway that didn't have heat while I tried on dresses.  Poor lovie.

I know there have been very mixed reviews about service at David's Bridal but I loved the girl who was helping me.  She was extremely helpful, quick, had great suggestions, and helped calm me down when emotions got heated.  So if anyone lives in Connecticut and is thinking of going to the David's Bridal in Orange - two thumbs up from me!

The very very first wedding dress I tried on.  Despite the facial expression, I really did like the dress very much.  I fought the urge to yell "I'll take it" when I looked at myself in the mirror.  I blame my apparent lack of enthusiasm on the zit - it made it hard to smile.  

However, even though I liked it, my family nixed it.  I tried on another dress similar to it but it was approved by no one.  By this point, my mom had wandered through the store and managed to get two dresses into my dressing room with Asian mom craftiness.  Not that it was hard not to notice when I saw the yards of tulle and beading overflowing through the door.

This time, the facial expression is a fairly accurate representation of my feelings.  It just wasn't me.  I felt very overpowered in the dress even though it was my size.  I couldn't picture myself dancing in the dress or moving at all.  However, my mom was halfway done writing the check for it before I stopped her.  

The next Mama Wong dress.  It was slightly better - I think.  I can't see how far out the back goes.  Surprisingly, my cousins did like this.  For me, it still felt like the dress was wearing me too much.  

Mama Wong trying to demonstrate how the dress makes my waist look skinner than the first few dresses I tried on.  She tried so hard.

And finally, the last dress of the day.  Finally a semi happy facial expression - it's possible!  I liked this dress also - I'm addicted to rouching!  And it had beading to make Mama Wong happy!  


Sadly though, Mama Wong did not approve.  And she reeeeealy did not approve when I said I didn't want to buy the dress she picked out.  It got quite heated for a minute.  No threats of disownment (which is good!).  But that's only because she didn't talk to me the entire drive home (which is actually not so bad...but not good).  But Mama Wong and I made up as we always do because we love each other.   Awwww.  And because she's saving her ultimate fight power to convince me to pop out children asap.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment