Sunday, February 21, 2010

Balls! Balls! And More Balls!


I was immediately smitten by these tissue paper pomanders that were on Ruffled.  Of course it meant I immediately had to copy the idea and do it myself.  I put the link the original instructions but I noticed that some of the pictures aren't loading so I've taken some pictures of my own process.  I'm very slow on craft related things (VERY slow) so the more pictures there are, the better it is for me.

Step 1: Find tissue paper in the colors that you like.  I used a mix of purples but I think it would look great in one plain color also.  Be sure to buy more tissue paper than you think you will need.  I bought 6 packets of tissue paper and I ran out before I was done with 2 pomanders.

Step 2: Cut your paper down to 10 inches by 5 inches.  Use a paper cutter - this will make your life infinitely easier.  Having your FI do this part will make it 10 times infinitely easier.  :)

Step 3: Fold your paper about .3 inches - accordion style.



Fold it on the SHORT edge - not the long edge. Or else you will have an epic fail that I did - something I didn't realize until a full day into the project.  This is what folding the wrong way looks like.  Sad.

Step 4: Once you have it folded all the way, fold it in half and round the edges.   I have it drawn here to show the shape before I cut but I generally just eyeball it and cut.  It doesn't need to be perfect.


Step 5: Cut wire pieces into 4 inch lengths and twist the wire around the middle of the tissue paper.  Do not twist the tissue paper.

Step 6: This is where you "fluff" the flower.  I found this part extremely confusing at first when I first tried it myself but I'll try to explain it as best I can.  You take one half of your tissue paper and expand it out.  Then take the first layer of this half and gently pull it up so that it stands up perpendicular.  



Once you have one layer fluffed up, repeat on the other side.  I would recommend doing one layer on one side, then switching to the other side before going on to the next layer.

Step 7: Finished flower!

Assemble your finished flowers into a styrofoam ball.  I used a 4 inch ball but I would actually suggest using a 5 inch ball instead so that your finished pomander is slightly bigger.  I bought mine in packs of 2 from Michaels and it's just not worth it for me to get new balls and start over.

Step 8: I attached my ribbon first by sticking the floral wire through the ribbon and attaching it to the styrofoam ball.  I think hot glue is optional - I didn't use the glue and it has held up hanging for the last few months. 
 

Step 9: Attach your flowers into the ball.  I packed mine very closely together at first but then it just took SO MANY flowers to fill the ball.  For the next one, I spread the flowers out a little further so that it looked less smooshed and also it took less flowers to fill the ball.


FIN!  I only have 4 pomanders done...4 more to go.  zomg.  These take a lot of time to do and it definitely is a labor of love.  I plan on using them as aisle decorations so hopefully these puppies will make for at least one fantastical photo.

7 comments:

  1. They look awesome! About how many flowers did you use per pomander?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I used probably around 35-40 flowers per ball. I think you can probably use less because mine ended up looking a little smooshed but I liked the fuller look. In the end, I'm glad I did them but they took a lot of time to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! How long did it take to make each? How much tissue paper would you say you need for each?

    Can't wait to get started on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used 4 sheets per flower and each flower took about 10 minutes from start to finish. I used an assembly line process to make it a little easier. I would cut a bunch of paper one night, fold them the next, assemble them the night after that, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your tissue from?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for the long delay in responding @Leacoln but I got my tissue paper from a stationary store here in Boston. I don't think it matters where you get the tissue paper from as long as you like the colors. Some tissue papers are thicker than others so you should use less sheets per flower.

    ReplyDelete