Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Engagement!



My first tip to anyone who has just gotten engaged - be prepared to tell the engagement story - a LOT. I wish I had known this because the first day back at work after the engagement - it took my a REEEAALLLY long time to get the story out and it was definitely not in chronological order. So I should have enough practice to just whip out the story for my first post but it's been 3 weeks since I first started writing this and I haven't even started the story. BUT! I'm feeling oh-so-inspired now that I've downloaded all the Glee songs off itunes and I'm riding a musical high so maybe I can finish. (p.s. GO GLEE!)

I had brought up the topic of marriage a while ago just to make sure Brian and I were on the same page. I believe my exact words were "do you want to marry me someday?" Thankfully the answer from him was "I think so" because it might have been slightly embarrassing if his answer was a flat out no. But it wasn't until sometime in May until we seriously talked about it and that's when we started looking at rings. I made him promise me that he would do it within 6 months because:
  • It's a lot of work looking for rings - especially if you have no clue where to begin. I went into a couple of stores where the sales people would say "hi" and wait for me to tell them what I wanted...which is no good when I had absolutely no idea what I wanted.
  • Once he said the word "ring" that's all I became obsessed about. It gets tiring just waiting!! I was already anxious waiting for the moment after a week and I really regretted giving him 6 months to do it instead of 6 days
We had taken a trip to NYC in August and I was honestly expecting a proposal during that time so every time we went out, I was just holding my breath for that moment. I was really sad when we got back on the bolt bus back to Boston and just kept thinking "Well, I guess I know it won't happen on the bus."

But luckily I didn't have to wait much longer. The last warm Saturday of the summer, we planned a day trip to the Cape. The night before, Brian keeeept insisting he had to buy a photo album for his mom that Jenny was going to put together. Then we went to the Paper Source where he got the album and he asked me if I wanted to stay there while he went to CVS to print the pictures. I was SOOO in heaven when he said that because I love me my Paper Source. The next morning we got a really late start to the Cape which irked me to no end because I was worried there'd be traffic and it wouldn't be worth going if we waited any longer. To make matters worse, Brian was also adamant about dropping off the album at his sister's. But we got to the Cape and spent an amazing (yet chilly) day on the beach and watching the sunset over the ocean.

Brian had made reservations at Scampo which is a restaurant part of the Liberty Hotel. We realized around sunset we were never going to make it back before the restaurant closed. This was fine with me because I was exhausted and just wanted leftover meatballs in my pjs. I was completely clueless as to why Brian was wasting my iphone battery finding restaurants that would still be open at 11. Once we got home, I dropped my bag and announced I was ready for dinner while wearing my hoodie and jeans. At that point, Brian nonchalantly said, "You might want to dress up and pack whatever you need for overnight" and the blood rushed to my face and I blurted out "NO, I'm home already" before I realized what was happening. I tried to keep it nonchalant as I cleaned up but I couldn't stop grinning.


It turns out the original plan was for the hotel staff to slip him the room key underneath the check at Scampo and he was going to whisk me up to our room for the night. His sister had decorated the room with orchids, roses,
and a bottle of champagne. On the bed was
the photo album that Brian had bought the night before and in it were pictures of us. I was flipping through them thinking "ok, I'm here...now what?" when the last pict
ure was of hm holding the ring. The next thing I knew he was there in front of me getting down on one knee and nervously asking, "Lovie, will you marry me?"

I had been preparing for this moment for all through dinner and basically all these months. Yet I was just blown away by the emotions that swept through me when he asked me that question. There was something just so humbling in that moment - to think that he loved me enough to spend the rest of his life with me. And he thought I was special enough, worthy enough for his love. I am not the most emotional person in the world but I felt loved, humbled, special, and overwhelmed by the whole moment. I hope I never forget that feeling. I am lucky and I love love love the man I will marry.


No comments:

Post a Comment